About the role
As a senior member of the team you will provide guidance on all commercial aspects relating to our projects. You will implement best commercial and contractual practices to maintain and maximise the profitability and financial performance of our projects.
The role will involve the day-to-day commercial management of various projects, providing financial management, ensuring that the measurement, valuation and cash flow are managed effectively.
A competitive salary and benefits will be offered to the successful candidate. Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK.
MGL Group fully supports Equality in Employment. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit and business need.
- Analyse contract documentation and preparation of Bills of Quantities to assist the estimating department
- In conjunction with the relevant Project Management team members, be accountable for the profitability of the projects and develop an appropriate commercial strategy for the projects to ensure delivery of required margins
- Contribute to the management and maintenance of a contract cost reporting system, ensuring all financial information is managed and up-to-date and tracked with budget/tender allowances, commitments and deviations highlighted and managed.
- With other members of the team, produce and provide accurate forecasts of project cost to completion and final value and continually monitor projected costs to completion in line with budget. Assist in arranging and undertaking project reviews and issue of associated reports
- Ensure that necessary interface information between clients, subcontractors and other departments is provided in a timely manner. Attendance at valuation meetings with the Client Representatives as required and / or verifying attendance by required members of the team
- Pro-actively monitor cash flow and valuation plan, ensuring applications are made correctly and in a timely manner
- Ensure contract change procedures are identified, valued and turned into agreed change orders with the clients in a timely manner
- Manage the subcontract tender process, including the selection and presentation of the sub-contractors for senior management approval, and provision of all relevant contract documentation. Ensure that each sub-contractor’s account is managed strictly in accordance with their terms and conditions
- Provide accurate monthly reporting of cost and value on the project(s) in line with the Company’s reporting process
- Be responsible for the preparation and agreement of final accounts
The ideal candidate
- Ideally HNC / HND, relevant Degree or equivalent is desirable
- 10 years’ experience and a proven track record of working in the commercial environment and working on projects covering the Civil Engineering / Bulk Earthworks / Demolition / Surfacing / Commercial Groundworks environments
- Experience of having worked on a variety of contracts, such as JCT, NEC forms and other bespoke contracts. Knowledge of key elements of contract law relevant to role Competent in construction processes and procedures
- Ability to apply the knowledge and principles of commercial management to construction projects
- Experience in working with contract documentation specific to role
- Comprehensive contracting and commercial skills
- Knowledge and understanding of sub-contracting principles, together with the ability to draft and administer subcontracts
- Ability to implement procedures to quantify and cost construction works, including the use of appropriate standard methods of measurement
- Conducts themselves in a courteous and professional manner
- Encourage and supports other colleagues
- Training on in-house software packages will be provided but you will need to be IT literate with good knowledge of Office 365, Sharepoint, Microsoft Word, Excel etc.
- Excellent organisation, communication, negotiation and time management skills
- You will be thorough, be good with numbers and pay attention to detail
- You will work well with others, accept criticism well and work well under pressure
- You will be career driven, resilient and have a strong work ethic
- You will be a hands-on, enthusiastic individual who will be involved and invested in the company’s long-term future and success